Experience how Acton is transforming education in this independent, award-winning documentary.
Watch the video.
Here are the top 3 reasons why my husband and I chose to open an Acton Academy here in our hometown.
- Our children and yours. Like you, every single decision that we make has the best interests of our children in mind. As our world continues to develop and evolve at a great pace, we feel the urgent need to prepare them for the 21st century and whatever their future may hold.
- To benefit our community. Cornwall and the surrounding area has so much to offer! With the elements of a full-service city and a small-town feel, we saw the need to add a leading-edge style of education for families that are wanting an innovative environment for their children to thrive in.
- Hope for our world. My husband and I need to contribute to the greater good and know that our actions are leading to a better world. We are gathering together a wonderful community of parents whose values align well with ours and who are seeking a brighter future for their children. Together, we are committed to creating a space that will equip a generation of leaders and world changers.
— Sarah McCullough-FergusonTalk With Us
581 Cheryl Street
Hello, I’m Sarah McCullough-Ferguson and I am fortunate to be the mother of 3 creative, vibrant and caring children, and grateful to be the wife of an ambitious and loving husband. Together we live on a 50-acre certified-organic farm set in the rolling hills of Martintown, Ontario where we grow garlic and enjoy every second of country living.
Growing up surrounded by a family of teachers and principals, I too became passionate about helping children discover the world around them. I also pursued education, and for the past 15 years have joyously taught both in French and English for public school boards in Kingston, Toronto, Whitehorse and the Cornwall area.
Throughout my career, I have followed my interests and have sought continuing education opportunities in Montessori, Waldorf, Reggio Emilia, and Outdoor and Experiential education. No matter the type of education, I love seeing the light in children’s eyes and the fire in their souls when they are empowered and guiding their own learning, truly following their interests and curiosities.
I have out-grown the traditional model of our public education system, and am ready to bring something completely new to our community. Through a series of synchronicities, a friend of mine mentioned Acton Academy to me, and I was reminded of having discovered it before. In an instant I knew this was the right path for me at the right time. I am so proud to be a part of a proven network of learner-driven micro-schools, founded by educators, innovators, entrepreneurs, and parents that is facilitating world changing education. Watch this video to see if this is the right path for you and your family too
Advisor and Acton Academy Co-Founder
Jeff Sandefer lives a dual life as an entrepreneur and a Socratic Guide. As an entrepreneur, he founded his first company at age 16 and went on to found or co-found seven successful businesses. As a Socratic teacher at the University of Texas, Jeff’s students five times voted him the school’s Outstanding Teacher and Businessweek named him one of the top Entrepreneurship professors in America.
Jeff went on to co-found the Acton School of Business, an MBA program perennially ranked by the Princeton Review among the best in the nation. In 2012 The Economist honored him as one of the top fifteen Business School professors in the world.
Jeff is a graduate of the Harvard Business School, where he served for over twenty years on the school’s governing committees. He was a longtime director of the Philanthropy Roundtable and National Review magazine and one of the youngest members ever elected to the Texas Business Hall of Fame.
Advisor and Acton Academy Co-Founder
Laura lived on both US coasts and in between as a child, then settled into Vanderbilt University for her undergraduate studies in the College of Arts and Science. After being awarded the highly competitive Walter Wattles Fellowship at Lloyd’s of London, Laura worked in the aviation insurance industry in New York City.
Deciding to follow her calling into the world of education, Laura returned to Nashville and earned her Master of Education at Peabody College. This led her to her work at the Oklahoma Arts Institute, creating fine arts education programs for teachers and talented high school students.
Laura married Jeff Sandefer and is the happy mother of Sam and Charlie and step-mother to Taite. It is the inspiration of these children that led Laura and Jeff to co-found Acton Academy.
Her greatest hero is her mother who was a Master Teacher. Her wisest mentor is her father who sent her off to college with two words of advice: "Be curious."
Our promises to your child
- Begin a Hero's Journey
- Learn to be a curious, independent, lifelong learner.
- Develop a deep respect for economic, political and religious freedoms.
- Cherish the arts, wonders of the physical world and the mysteries of life on Earth.
- Discover his or her most precious gifts and learn to use them to solve difficult problems.
- Understand the importance of strong character.
- Value a healthy lifestyle of mind and body.
- We believe each child has a gift that can change the world in a profound way.
- We believe in a closely connected family of lifelong learners.
- We believe in learning to learn, learning to do, and learning to be.
- We believe in economic, religious, and political freedom.